If you want to know what types of hoses you can use when watering your garden, terrace or the green area that surrounds your pool. In this post we will provide you about the variety of hoses and the most appropriate for each need.
The market offers a wide variety of hoses like, expandable hose, attack hose, relay hose, etc based on the following characteristics:
- Quality of materials
- Intensity of use
- Water pressure
We will focus on this post only in the form of these and the quality of the materials used for their manufacture, since the other aspects may be a little less important since almost all hoses that are currently sold have standards fixed in this regard that do not vary much between some types or others.
MAIN CHARACTERISTICS TO TAKE INTO ACCOUNT TO DIFFERENTIATE TYPES OF HOSES
Depending on their shape, the hoses can be classified as follows:
- Extendable hoses
- Helical or spiral hoses.
- Rigid, or conventional hoses.
QUALITY OF MATERIALS
The quality of the materials used in the manufacture of hoses, defines the characteristics of resistance to pressure, weathering effects, resistance to torsion or excessive force when stretching.
Among the most resistant materials is Polyurethane, followed by vinyl, while PVC, offers less resistance.
This will give you a good idea in terms of price – durability.
KEYS TO CHOOSE THE HOSE THAT BEST SUITS YOUR NEEDS
Although the ideal is to get all the qualities and advantages, in a single hose, the truth is that each type of hose has its characteristics, and is indicated for a certain type of use. Therefore, below, we will give you the keys to choose the hose that best suits your needs.
- For the irrigation of terraces , porches, and gardens of small and medium size, expandable hoses, and spiral or helical hoses, are a perfect option, for its convenience of use and collection.
The expandable hoses increase over three times its size automatically as a result of pressure with the tap water, quickly regaining its original size once you’ve finished watering and turn off the tap.
On the other hand, the spiral hoses are very advisable for the irrigation of porches and small areas, due to their small measures.
All extendable and helical hoses are prepared with their corresponding opening and closing gun, and adjustable irrigation nozzle in different positions to adapt the water outlet, with different positions ranging from fine rain to maximum jet pressure. Hence, it is not a characteristic to be taken into account for typification or classification of the types of hoses in this post.
To prolong the duration of your hose, you must operate the opening of the gun simultaneously with the tap, to avoid breakage due to excess pressure.
- In large areas of garden, lawn and trees of public pools , or parks, it is necessary to have another type of hoses, with more rigid characteristics, and manufactured with a tube reinforced by several layers.
This type of hoses can be reinforced with braided weaving systems, which make them more resistant to pressure and folds which makes them less flexible, or with knitted reinforcements that achieve a lot of resistance and durability against possible folds and twists, while at the same time they facilitate a better handling.
In general, hoses of this type, because of their length, weight and rigidity, are much heavier when it comes to watering, and require collection systems for their storage while they are not being used, always occupying a larger space than the first ones.
- Currently, the market also offers micro-perforated hoses for watering pots, flowerbeds and other small-sized areas, or difficult to access routinely.
These are pipes for drip irrigation , drilled with small holes in a linear and continuous way along its entire surface.
- Professional irrigation sleeves for agricultural crops.
Currently, many farmers use this type of sleeves to irrigate their crops for easy transport in a van, simple installation and handling, and low cost.
These are flexible plastic pipes made of highly resistant polyethylene, but with a low wall thickness, with diameters between 10 and 50 cm. and with lengths greater than 100 meters.
Useful tips to keep in mind when choosing a type of hose
- The materials used to make the interiors of hoses can influence the properties of water for human consumption, and therefore, you should not drink water from hoses.
- To extend the life of hoses of any kind, it is important to avoid repeated exposure to the sun, due to the deterioration of the materials.
- After each use, whatever the type of hose, it must be collected by removing the excess water, and in a circular way until the end.
- We advise to have a transport system and collect rigid and semi-rigid hoses , to facilitate their handling and storage.
And now, that you already know which hose to choose, you may be interested in finding the one that best suits your needs through teleshopping or online store. The good thing about these shopping platforms is that you always find the product you want, at a very competitive price and most importantly, at home, so you do not have to worry about anything.
We hope that this post about types of garden hose has clarified your doubts when choosing the hose that best suits.